Project by: Melissa Milakovic of Joydom Design
Location: Ottawa — Ontario, Canada
Melissa was enlisted by her clients to give their living room an entirely new look for a limited budget. They wanted a “coastal” feel and she delivered with rich blues and greens but spiced things up with bursts of bold yellow throughout.
From Melissa: My clients were looking to do a complete overhaul of their living room but didn’t quite know where to start. They wanted the room to feel fresh and inviting with a warm, coastal style. I used the yellow from the kitchen curtains and the blue hues from the rug as the foundation for the color story and went from there.
Amazing clients that they were, I had a lot of freedom in making design choices for them while they did a lot of the work themselves (painted the walls, fireplace mantel and tile, hid speakers, etc). I pushed for something a little more bold with the yellow IKEA armchair, while keeping the rest of the room soft by adding plants, natural and embroidered pillows, a neutral throw and other small details to bring it all together.
With the budget being under $1,000, IKEA and HomeSense were my go-to’s for this project along with a few pieces coming from Mobilia.
- WALKER coffee table is from Mobilia
- STRANDMON Wing chair (Skiftebo Yellow) from IKEA
- JASSA Vase from IKEA
- JASSA Bowl from IKEA
- MOSSLANDA Picture Ledge from IKEA
- Pillows, throw, brass table lamp, small decorative items, starburst mirror, art print all from HomeSense
NORSBORG Corner Sofa from
Many thanks Melissa Milakovic and the team over at Joydom Design!
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Project Submission Form.
Lusting after more living room transformations? Allow us to point you in the direction of this lovely little loft makeover.