Summer’s over and fall is here, and that can only mean one thing: it’s time to do some major decluttering. (What, you thought that only happened in spring?). The change of seasons is the perfect time to reset by going through your home room-by-room to get rid of all the stuff you didn’t use all season, not to mention all the stuff you know won’t get much use by winter, either.
To help you get started, here’s a list of things you can get rid of ASAP—from your closet to your medicine cabinet and beyond.
- Swimsuits you didn’t wear all season.
- Summer clothes you didn’t wear—and the clothes you did wear, but didn’t feel good about yourself in.
- Fall and winter clothes and outerwear you don’t feel your best in or don’t plan to wear.
- Sandals and other summer shoes you didn’t wear all season.
- Fall and winter shoes you don’t like anymore or don’t plan to wear.
- Clothes, shoes and accessories (including sunglasses) that are damaged—if you don’t plan to fix them.
- Socks that you don’t have matches for.
- Inexpensive jewelry you haven’t worn in ages.
- Makeup that’s expired or doesn’t match your skin tone.
- Sunscreen you’ve been holding onto since last summer.
- Hair and skincare products that have expired (or that you just haven’t used in who knows how long).
- Old nail polish that’s lost its original texture.
- Your loofah (they definitely don’t last as long as you think they do!)
- Samples and travel-sized products you never use.
- Spices you haven’t replaced in a few years.
- Foods you put in the freezer when summer started.
- All those extra grocery bags you’ve set aside.
- Food storage containers that could use a refresh or that are missing lids.
- Appliances you haven’t used since last fall.
- Extra kitchen utensils you don’t use or need.
- Toys, clothes and shoes your kids will grow out of by next summer.
- Worn-out beach towels.
- Old magazines you’ve read through and through—or never got around to all summer.
- Over-the-counter meds or prescriptions that have expired (make sure you dispose of them properly!)
- Old, worn-out sheets and bedding.
Feeling good? Let’s get going!