Well, it’s officially autumn, which means a few things: pumpkin spice is taking over, and it’s time to break out your boots and flannels. These days, it seems like our homes are getting in on the fall feels, too. Just take a look at all of these buffalo plaid home accents popping up. This hipster and lumberjack wardrobe staple has infiltrated the decorating world in cozy, classic and modern ways.
Case in point, this show-stopping floor (above). Sadly Emily Henderson and company have moved out of this studio space, but the large scale Buffalo carpeting they created out of different blue shades of Flor tiles will live forever on her blog. Mentally filing that inspiration image away for my country house one day, you know, as one does.
So a full buffalo check plaid floor might not be for everyone, of course, which is where this buffalo check living room chair comes in. I’m not entirely sure it’s for me because I have patterned furniture commitment issues, mainly because of cost. But man, does that thing pop against the tan leather sofa and sisal combo! Studio McGee strikes again.
On to the buffalo plaid wallpaper in this living space found on Beauty Bets via Etsy. The removable wallpaper sold by Livettes looks quite glamorous (and not so country chic) styled with a white settee and a mix of pillow prints.
Curtains are another option. People are definitely rocking this pattern ceiling to floor, but I prefer a Roman shade or half curtain like what’s in this kitchen from Talk of the House. Buffalo plaid that’s small-scale can be a little busy, especially if you have lots of windows in a room.
Not saying high-contrast drapery can’t be done, but it might be better with something closer to being tone on tone like this white and khaki bedroom situation via Southern Living. Add a matching pillow for good measure.
Sometimes just a hit of buffalo plaid is all you need. That’s what I like about this shot of Jenni Kayne’s living room, from MyDomaine. The throw is totally enough to cozy up the whole room. Come to think of it, the lit fireplace doesn’t hurt either.
Wanna get your buffalo check on at home? Here are our favorite plaid pieces:
- Jack Chair at Schoolhouse Electric, $1,899
- Black Buffalo Check Throw Pillow at Target, $39.99
- Devine Color Buffalo Plaid Peel & Stick Wallpaper at Target, $30/roll
- Buffalo Plaid Hanging Lamp at Zazzle, From $95
- Bella Kids’ Settee at One Kings Lane, $895
- The Seasons Collection Heavyweight Flannel Buffalo Plaid Standard Pillowcases at Bed Bath & Beyond, $20
- Large Buffalo Check Bean Bag Chair at Land of Nod, $159
- Buffalo Check Black Blackout Curtain at Land of Nod, Starting at $59
- Buffalo Plaid Oven Mitt at Amazon Handmade, $17
- Buffalo Check Rug at Society6, From $35
- Buffalo Check Lena Bed at Anthropologie, Starting at $2,198
- Buffalo Check Napkins at Etsy, From $3.50
- Grey Buffalo Check Teepee at Land of Nod, $159
- Buffalo Check Enamel Salad Plate at Pottery Barn, $48/Set of 4
- Buffalo Plaid Fringed Throw at Schoolhouse Electric, $129
- Square Nail Button Ottoman at Target, $160
- Caitlin Wilson AVA Cocktail Ottoman in Burnside Navy Buffalo Check at Caitlin Wilson, $225
- Buffalo Check Removable Wallpaper by Livettes at Etsy, Starting at $36