If you weren’t already hip to the Amazon Echo Dot, now’s the time to smarten up. Kind of like the Echo’s cool, younger (and much smaller) sister, the Echo Dot is a hands-free, voice-controlled device that allows you to do everything from play music to order pizza using Amazon’s Alexa technology.
And while most voice-activated devices can cost you well over a $100 a pop, the Echo Dot affords you most of the same luxuries—think: smart home control, calling and messaging capabilities, Bluetooth audio, and more—for a fraction of the size and cost.
Even better, Amazon is currently offering a slew of refurbished (but good as new) Echo Dot’s for 10 bucks off today, meaning you can upgrade your home with the help of an electronic personal assistant for less than $35.
Gently used but refurbished to look and work like new, this Echo Dot is small enough to fit in your hand but smart enough to automate most of the electronic devices in your home. It can stream music through Amazon Music, Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, and TuneIn, has a built-in smart alarm clock, and let’s you use voice commands to streamline your space in seconds.
Here are few things this pint-sized wonder can do upon request:
- Control all of your home’s smart technology, i.e. your lights, thermostat, speakers, television, Netflix, remote controls, coffee machine, garage door, and anything else that you can connect to wirelessly
- Make hands-free calls from your home—kind of like a landline but better
- Hands-free text messaging to anyone upon request
- Reads you the news, the weather, and even your favorite audiobook
- Works like a sous chef in the kitchen—just ask for it to read you a recipe and voice-command a timer; no more cookbooks necessary!
- Connect to your personal fitness tracker or just request personal workout routines (“Alexa, start 10 minute yoga session”) and find out nutrition info for foods on command
If you’re looking to gift some tech to yourself or a friend, today may be the day to add this little toy to your cart.