In honor of International Women’s Day, Mattel just announced that they will be releasing a run of new Barbie dolls modeled after inspiring women.
Along with adding dolls to their Shero collection, Amelia Earhart, Frida Kahlo and Katherine Johnson have all been given the Barbie treatment for the new Inspiring Women series.
According to the Mattel website, “86% of moms surveyed are worried about the kind of role models their daughters are exposed to. That’s why Barbie continues to showcase examples of inspirational women. From Sheroes to Inspiring Women, meet our latest Barbie role models–all extraordinary women we’ve honored with a doll in their likeness.”
The Shero collection was launched in 2015 and creates dolls based on women who “break boundaries” in sports, politics and entertainment.
— Chloe Kim (@chloekimsnow) March 6, 2018
New Sheros include:
- Patty Jenkins, director of Wonder Woman
- Chloe Kim, the youngest woman to win an Olympic snowboarding medal
- Bindi Irwin, conservationist
- Nicola Adams, OBE, the first woman to win an Olympic boxing title
- Leyla Piedayesh, knitwear designer
- Yuan Yuan Tan, prima ballerina of the San Francisco Ballet
- Xiaotong Guan, actress
- Martyna Wojciechowska, journalist and explorer
- Sara Gama, soccer champion
- Hélène Darroze, two Michelin-star chef
- Hui Ruoqi, Olympic gold medalist in volleyball