The holiday weekend is coming up, and as is often the case with a change in schedule (coupled with a possible party!) it’s easy to feel the weight of the home tasks that still aren’t finished. Often, these are the bigger maintenance chores that require a rental or an entire weekend if we did them ourselves. This weekend, let’s make a plan to outsource one of those pesky big chores. Leaving them to the professionals will make sure they get done — and get done properly.
Apartment Therapy Weekend Projects is a guided program designed to help you get the happy, healthy home you’ve always wanted, one weekend at a time. Sign up now for email updates so you never miss a lesson.
This Weekend’s Assignment:
Schedule a home maintenance task that you’re planning to outsource.
Get out your calendar and phone and get ready to make a call (or two, or three). The goal this weekend isn’t to check the whole task off as done, just make the first move by getting a done date on the calendar for later in the month or season.
Some ideal home maintenance tasks to outsource include:
- Power washing your driveways, walk ways and patios. This saves you time, of course, but also the rental cost or the expense and storage space of buying a power washer of your own.
- Soft-washing your exterior. Professional soft-washing companies have the tools and know-how for getting the veneer of grime off your home’s exterior.
- Cleaning your dryer vent. There are DIY tools for this, but it’s too easy to miss trapped lint, and the consequences can be devastating. Hire this one out.
- Washing the windows. This is an especially good job to outsource if you have second-story windows.
- Carpet cleaning. Have your home’s carpets professionally cleaned in a matter of hours. Say goodbye to a dingy appearance and stains you couldn’t quite take care of on your own. Your rooms will feel so fresh.
- Grout cleaning. This behemoth task can be done with a lot of elbow grease, but why not treat yourself to a houseful of clean grout without the back-bending labor? Don’t forget to ask about sealants to help keep grout clean.
Scheduling the task might just feel better than doing them yourself. You can cross it off your list, enjoy your holiday, and then enjoy the results once the task is completed.
Remember: This is about improvement, not perfection. Each week you can either choose to work on the assignment we’ve sent you, or tackle another project you’ve been meaning to get to. It’s also completely okay to skip a weekend if you’re busy or not feeling the assignment.