In an earlier post, I explored the relationship between Anthony Bourdain’s suicide and his being in “love.” I also discussed a friend who evidenced an addictive relationship, texting his partner nonstop during lunch. These cases suggested to me creating a brief quiz for people to assess the potential addictive nature of their intimate relationships.
Love Addiction Quiz
Love and relationships quiz: Are you addicted to “love”?
1. I almost never go voluntarily to a social event without my partner.
2. I dread being alone.
3. I resent any time my partner spends with other people.
4. I filter every event or possible activity through my partner’s eyes.
5. When I spend a few free hours apart from my partner, I text or email them continuously.
6. When I’m apart from my partner or “lover” I refer everything back to them, in my mind or when speaking.
7. There is no one I ever want to spend time with more than my “lover” or partner.
8. I almost never try new activities or make new personal connections on my own.
9. My life has become significantly more limited due to my “love” relationship.
10. I don’t engage in activities or see people that my partner doesn’t like.
If you’ve answered six of these questions as “true,” or largely so, you might consider yourself to be in a love or relationship addiction.
For help with love or other addictions, contact Stanton’s online Life Process Program.